Welcome to Quechua/Runa Simi Wikipedia!
The Wikipedia encyclopedia in Quechua language is being built on these pages. This project is just in its infancy. This help page in English exists so that people without deep knowledge of the Quechua language can also collaborate.
Why help in English?[llamk'apuy | pukyuta llamk'apuy]
In South America it is estimated that around 14 million people live who speak the Quechua language. Unfortunately, most of these people belong to the poorest sectors of the population and, therefore, few have access to the Internet.
That is why it is not surprising that there are currently few Quechua-speaking people collaborating with the free encyclopedia, called Wikipidiya in Quechua. However, the few existing articles and the translation of the main page show that there are. However, the process of building the Wikipidiya in Quechua -similar to those of other South American aboriginal languages, such as Guaraní- would be very slow without the collaboration of more people. That is why it would be very useful if people without deep knowledge of the language also participate, especially for translations.
Remember, this encyclopedia is, more than anything, for Quechua-speaking people, that is, it is an instrument for communicating knowledge and for the dissemination and preservation of a language that, gradually, is in danger of losing its true importance, both because of The fault of the scarcity of educational resources and dissemination, such as books and Web pages, published in Quechua language. By writing in this encyclopedia, you contribute to the preservation of cultural diversity and, above all, interest in learning the languages of native and indigenous cultures of the Americas, such as Quechua, is stimulated.
How to collaborate on Wikipedia[llamk'apuy | pukyuta llamk'apuy]
If you don't know yet: Wikipedia is based on the Wiki format that allows online editing of all pages (except for a few that can only be edited by administrators). That means that anyone can edit the articles in the encyclopedia, write new articles, link pages, etc. Each article also has a discussion page, where you can express and confront opinions on the topics of the article, write criticisms of the existing text, propose changes, and so on.
Acquire basic knowledge[llamk'apuy | pukyuta llamk'apuy]
In the article "Quechua" of the English Wikipedia you have some basic information about the language. In addition, an online Quechua course is being prepared in English Wikibooks and a dictionary in the Wiktionary. Here is a list of links to web pages that can be helpful in getting closer to the Quechua language (several of the links are courses in Spanish):
- http://www.infocusco.com/quechua-entrega-1.zip - Lecciones de Quechua para descargar. Leccion I al V en Formato PDF/Quechua lessons to download. Lesson I to V in PDF Format (in Spanish)
- http://www.yachay.com.pe/especiales/quechua/ - Curso Multimedia de Quechua de la Red Científica Peruana (muy bueno)/Quechua Multimedia Course of the Peruvian Scientific Network (very good; in Spanish)
- http://www.emagister.com/curso-quechua-cursos-325822.htm - Curso de Quechua gratis/Free Quechua course (in Spanish)
- http://www.andes.org/q_grammar.html - Lecciones básicas del idioma quechua/Basic lessons of the Quechua language (in Spanish)
- http://www.freelang.net/espanol/diccionario/quechua_argentino.html - Diccionario Quechua-Castellano (Quechua Argentino)/Quechua-Spanish Dictionary (Argentine Quechua; in Spanish)
- http://www.quechuanetwork.org/dictionary.cfm?lang=s - Diccionario de Quechua/Quechua Dictionary (in Spanish)
- http://www.profesorenlinea.cl/ChileFolclor/DiccioQuechuaAymara.htm - Diccionario Quechua - Aymara - Español/Quechua - Aymara - Spanish Dictionary (in Spanish)
- http://www.perou.org/dico/index.php?lg=es&lg1=ke&lg2=es&opt=000000 - Diccionario Quechua - Aymara - Español - Francés/Quechua - Aymara - Spanish - French Dictionary (in French)
- http://www.quechuastudent.org - Wiki para estudiantes de Quechua/Wiki for Quechua students
- http://www.ucci.edu.pe/quechuawanka/ - Portal Quechua Wanka/Quechua Wanka Portal (in Spanish)
Do you know more useful pages? Add them to the list!
What can I do with almost no knowledge of Quechua?[llamk'apuy | pukyuta llamk'apuy]
Many things just need some simple tool like a dictionary. For example:
- Translate the Wikipidiya:Lliw Wikipidiyapaq qillqanakuna (Wikipedia:Articles every Wikipedia should have) list into Quechua.
- Provide data and numbers, such as country population numbers, census data, mathematical formulas, dates of birth or death of people, etc.
- Formatting pages with little formatting, designing tables...
Actually, you can do just about anything... except writing full texts.
Things to do in this phase[llamk'apuy | pukyuta llamk'apuy]
- Urgent: The page: Wikipidiya:Lliw Wikipidiyapaq qillqanakuna (Wikipedia:Articles every Wikipedia should have) is a list of suggested topics to build the encyclopedia. The main page and the links it contains have to be translated into Quechua. You can translate the terms little by little, you don't have to edit everything at once, or know something about the subject. Go ahead!
- Countries: To start with the articles on countries, you can copy the tables of basic data from Wikipedia in English, translating the terms (population, area, languages ...) into Quechua.
There are also things, which we ask you NOT to do:
- Write articles in English about words in Quechua. It is not the meaning of Wikipedia to build a dictionary, but an encyclopedia that at some point can be used by a person who does not speak English.
- Translate texts literally with a dictionary. This works only with lists and tables, if it is about texts with complete sentences, a lot of confusion can be generated with this practice, since Quechua has a different structure than English. In general, the number of words used to express something is much less in Quechua since this language is based mostly on suffixes.
- Correct spelling mistakes if you are not sure that it is not a way of writing in a particular dialect. For example, the Quechua word for "town, village", in the standard of Southern Quechua (uralan runasimi), as well as in Argentina and Ancash Quechua (anqash rimay) is written as Llaqta, while in Unified Kichwa (shukllachishka Kichwa) of Ecuador is written as Llakta, and the Cusco professor Demetrio Tupah Yupanki writes it Llahta. As in all other languages, regional varieties should also be respected here.
Yes, it can be argued to allow, in a first phase, the use of isolated terms in Spanish in lists and in tables. For example, if you are passing a table with the basic data of a country and you do not know what "population" or "area" means in Quechua, you could put this term in parentheses and someone at some point will surely translate it. But this practice will only be necessary in the first phase of construction of this encyclopedia, since in a while all the possible terms in tables and lists of this type will already have examples.
With a little knowledge, you can do much more[llamk'apuy | pukyuta llamk'apuy]
This project also needs people to write texts. In the current state of the project, it does not matter if they are perfectly written without misspellings or meaning. This will change over time: when the project becomes more popular, someone who knows the language well is sure to correct your mistake. Or you do it yourself, learning the language better...
Take the opportunity and get into one of the Quechua language courses mentioned below without fear. This language has somewhat different bases from those of the European languages; however, it does have some features that make it quite easy to learn. For example: There is only one verb conjugation mode! The technical and scientific language is based almost entirely on Spanish; this also makes it possible to deduce the meanings of several words (for example paahina). It is a language with very subtle expressions, with a few words you can say more than in a whole page in Spanish, German or English.
If you want to learn the language in more depth, here is a list of institutions that teach it:
- Academia de enseñanza del Quechua Yachay Wasi (Lima, Perú)
- Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos (Lima, Perú)
- Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina (Lima, Perú)
- Universidad Nacional San Antonio Abad del Cusco (Cusco, Perú)
- Universidad Nacional de San Agustín (Arequipa, Perú)
- Universidad Nacional de Trujillo (Trujillo, Perú)
- Red Científica Peruana (Lima, Peru)
- Universidad San Francisco Xavier de Chuquisaca (Sucre, Bolivia)
- Universidad Mayor de San Simón (Cochabamba, Bolivia)
- Universidad de Buenos Aires (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Universidad Nacional de Córdoba (Córdoba, Argentina)
- United States
- Stanford University (United States)
- University of Pennsylvania (United States)
- Duke University (United States)
- University of California in Los Angeles (United States)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (United States)
- University of Kansas-Lawrence (United States)
If you know of others, feel free to add them to the list!
For people who know Quechua[llamk'apuy | pukyuta llamk'apuy]
Welcome! We urgently need you as there are things that only you can write.
Hamunkichiq! kaypi munachkayku maypichus qankunalla atiwaqchhis qillkayta.
Very urgent is, for example, a help section in the Quechua language, so that the Quechua-speaking "surfer" can consult this section to know how to edit pages, write new articles, etc. Even if it is only a list of recommendations at first... go ahead!
Manchay osqjastuta, maypichoj yanapayniykita munayku qhichwa qallupi, maypichos pichuoj kay laqueta qawajka riqsinampaq allinta ajimanta riqsichikunaykupaq ñawpaqman ripapahima tukuyninchiq.
Following the tradition of several of the large Wikipedias, it is also useful to build a Village pump as in the English Wikipedia (en:Wikipedia:Village pump), that is, a space for consultation and discussion. This should also be in Quechua.
In the near future, when the project gets a little bigger, surely we will also need administrators with "special powers", that can make corrections, delete articles (that is, articles that deserve to be eliminated since the previous collaboration of other users of good intention should not be underestimated), eliminate users who cause damage, etc. If someone volunteers for this job, they can comment on the talk page on the front page.